Monday, May 4, 2009

And Whiskers On Kittens II



Today's subject of choice: Vainilla, the sweetest cat (I'm being ironic, of course). This little one brought home another mouse. Which reminds me, that I sure have come a long way from those blurry pictures, although to my defense I was just trying to get a half decent picture and I was in a rush, since the cat was playing with the poor little thing all over the yard.

Nonetheless, I think it is a good exercise for all of us to go over our photographs, not just the latest ones that we finally saved onto our computer, but also older ones, analyzing what we did right, what we did wrong, and what we could have done to improve the picture. That is the best way to learn.

For instance, take this picture:



Had I had the patience to wait about half a second more, I would have caught the little child with the hand in the air, which is the signal that they managed to build the entire tower. It is a much more representative moment of the castellers, which is the cultural custom depicted. The tower is not quite in the center, and the building in the back subtracts attention from the people.

However, I also think that I did well in using the 'vivid' settings rather than, for example, black and white, which would have looked much less full of life. I also did well in capturing a sequence of their building the human tower, as I can see as I look through my pictures several moments and stages of the building. Finally, I also think I was right in adding a lot of sky at the top of the picture and in taking a vertical picture, which is much better for the picture.

What do I learn from this picture, though?

I have learned that when there are elements in the back that could distract rather than add to the attractiveness of the picture, I should use a low aperture. I have learned that I must try and have patience so that I can capture the peak of action, and not almost. The way to do this is to press the button halfway and then, in the precise instant that I want the picture, press all the way down, except when using flash, which usually takes longer. And also, I have learned to be more careful about placing subjects: be it in the middle, or at the side (my personal favorite), just not somewhere in between that is not quite defined.

No comments: