Thursday, November 13, 2008

Backgrounds

The following are three pictures of the same flower, with the change that all three have different backgrounds. The way I see it, this changes the whole mood of the picture and it is crucial that you think about it before snapping away. I know I've said other times that the more pictures you take, the more good pictures will turn out, but it is also true that the more you think about a picture (its light, its shadows, its background, and plenty of other aspects) the more likely it is to be truly great and not merely nice or pretty.

Here's picture number one. Against other green plants and with the lowest aperture settings, I think that it gives out optimism and brightness.





This is picture number two. It was taken against a fence and it looks a lot sadder somehow. Sure, the flower stands out a little against the grayish brown fence, but certainly not as much as it did against the green plants.



And here is a mixture of the two. I found a leaf and placed the flower right on top. On the one hand, I like it because the colors turned out well and it reminds me of a painting, but on the other hand I got the impression it looked a little amateurish.


So I suppose you've guessed that my favorite is the first, but which one is yours?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, definitively, the first one is the best. It's so happy!
But the last one made me think of "relax, be rested"^^

Marc-Daniel said...

I liked the third best, it's more "original" and true, it lookes like a painting also